DUBLIN, CA–The 12th Poetry & Pizza Open Mic at Patxi’s Pizza (Dublin) will feature four current and former poets laureate, plus a one-hour open mic hosted by City of Dublin Poet Laureate James Morehead. Poetry & Pizza at Patxi’s Pizza has provided a unique venue for East Bay poets to share their poetry for over two years.
The event will include performances by Jenyth Jo (Poet Laureate – San Ramon), Kathleen Moore (former Poet Laureate – San Ramon), Sarah Kobrinsky (former Poet Laureate – Emeryville), and James Morehead (Poet Laureate – Dublin), plus a one hour open mic.
“The Poetry & Pizza Open Mic, in collaboration with Patxi’s Pizza (Dublin), has succeeded beyond my expectations. From humble beginnings two years ago, the event now attracts emerging and established poets from around the East Bay. We’ve had poets at the mic from 8-years old to 80-years old sharing their voice with the community, and are excited to put the spotlight on East Bay poets laureate at a very special 12th Poetry & Pizza Open Mic event on July 26.”James Morehead (Poet Laureate – Dublin, CA)
- Eventbrite listing (for free tickets and open mic sign-up)
- Date & time: Wednesday July 26, 6pm
- Cost: Free (and family friendly)
- Location: Patxi’s Pizza (Dublin) – 5130 Dublin Boulevard S1H, Dublin, CA 94568
- 6pm – Four 12-minute performances by current and former East Bay poets laureate
- 7pm – One-hour poetry open mic
About the Featured Poets Laureate
- Jenyth Jo (Poet Laureate – San Ramon) is a lifelong lover of learning, Jenyth earned a bachelor’s degree in English and Creative Writing/Fiction from Stanford University, an M.A. in Creative Writing/Fiction from U.C. Davis, and an M.F.A. in Poetry at St. Mary’s College in Moraga. She earned a certificate in College Admissions Counseling at U.C. Berkeley and spent many years helping students craft terrific college applications. She has served as the co-director of the Poetry Out Loud program at Monte Vista High School since 2008 and has coached many county champions.
- Kathleen Moore (former Poet Laureate – San Ramon) is a collector of stories, discarded objects, and memories. She is a mentor teacher, book coach, and staff developer who served three terms as Poet Laureate for the City of San Ramon. She is the author of the poetry collections Avians of Mourning and Alphapoetica: A Poetry Primer for the Everyday Poet. She is also the author of the children’s novels Elinormal and New Girl: The Further Adventures of Elinormal. Most days you can find her reading, writing and painting in her garden. You can also find her on twitter @wordcrazy, or on Instagram as @katemccarrollmoore.
- Sarah Kobrinsky (former Poet Laureate – Emeryville) is the author of Nighttime on the Other Side of Everything (New Rivers Press, 2019). Her poems and stories have appeared in Magma Poetry, Red Light Lit, Eleven Eleven, Monkeybicycle, *82 Review, 100 Word Story, Fjords Review, among many others. She was long-listed for the 2019 University of Canberra Vice Chancellor’s Poetry Prize. She was born in Canada, raised in North Dakota, seasoned in England, and tempered in California.
- James Morehead (Poet Laureate – Dublin) has published several collections of poetry including “canvas”, “portraits of red and gray“, and “The Plague Doctor.” James’ poem “tethered” was transformed into an award-winning hand drawn animated short film, “dissolving in the gallery” was set to music for baritone and piano, and his poems have appeared on NPR, SF Chronicle’s Total SF, Ignatian Literary Magazine, Cathexis Northwest Press, Beyond Words Magazine, Citron Review, Prometheus Dreaming, and others. He also hosts the Viewless Wings Poetry Podcast which features interviews with poets and artists.